I needed a remote control that would connect to the PC and let me :
- Select the tracks I wanted to listen to from the whole music collection.
- Add the tracks to a playlist
- Start, stop and pause the track currently playing
- Select the next/previous track in the playlist.
- Adjust the volume.
- Windows Media Player (easily available from Microsoft).
- iTunes (At the time I owned a Apple shuffle)
- WinAmp (Free download)
So I decided that it would be fun to write my own remote control. As I'm a software developer by profession writing my own was certainly not out of the question.
Now I could have considered writing a plugin for all of the options above but I felt that starting from scratch would be more interesting. I also wanted it to be something that could be run on different operating systems (as long as the USB DAC was usable via that operating system). I had been writing web based applications in Java for close to 12 years so writing it as a JEE Web Application seems to make the most sense.